Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

B E A U T Y | Lavender Hair






I am so ashamed at my lack of updates, but in my defense, I had a lot of events going on in my life. holidays, school, work, and way too many birthdays for my bank account to handle. 

But I digress, this post is about my lavender hair (woooooo!). It's so hard to find a lavender hair tutorial because all the lavender-headed girls are just showing off their result and not helping other people who want it, to achieve it. So, I'm going to help as much as I can. But, because I'm an idiot, I didn't photo-doc it so I'm going to show you all the products I used and tell you what I did in as much detail as I can. 

**please note, the lightening of my hair was achieved over the course of 4 months to minimize the amount of damage my hair no doubt went through**

ONWARDS - 


Lavender Hair:

first things first, to get lavender hair, you have to have a white base. If your hair is already blonde, this will be easier for you than it was for me or someone with dark hair. But don't fret, my brunette beauties - it is not impossible, it just takes longer.

I bleached my hair once every two weeks from september to december from a medium-light brown to the inside of a banana. Yeah. Let that sink in. The amount of bleaching my hair endured, I almost didn't think it would make it. 

I would recommend for the brunettes that you do this longer than 4 months. trust me, your hair will thank you. In between bleachings, do not forget to deep condition. seriously. do not forget. I used hair mayonnaise I got from my local wal-mart and hot oil treatments, but you could whip up some DIY home hair remedies from google. 

I bought a big tub of blue-powder bleach and 30v developer from my local beauty supply outlet. It's easier that way because you can just mix up the amount you need. I didn't always bleach my whole head at once. if I missed spots in my previous bleaching, I would only bleach those parts. sometimes I would skip bleaching my ends because I didn't want to completely ruin my hair. 

Once I got my hair as light as I could (about the inside of a banana, some bits slightly darker, some brassy bits because those parts were stubborn and would not lift), I toned it with Wella Color Charm's lightest ash blonde. It used to be called White Lady Toner, but they changed the name. According to some people, the toner had changed as well, but I wouldn't know. 



The mixture is very strong, and you should only leave it on for the directed amount of time of 10-15 minutes. If you leave it on any longer, your hair will turn an ugly grey-ish purple-y colour. Even though your goal is lavender, you do not want that hair colour. It does not look good and will mess up your end result. Please note, this toner is also drying, so some deep conditioning would be advisable after applying this toner.

Ps. apply the toner right after bleaching, because it doesn't work as well the day after. 
Ps.s when mixing the toner, wait for it to turn a medium-dark purple before applying it to your hair. the mixture is slimy and cold and very much liquid, so expect dripping and wet, cold shoulders. 

Wrap that shit up in a shower cap and wait 10-15 minutes before washing out. My hair turned out a very light ash blonde, just like the toner said it would. But remember those dark brassy bits I said wouldnt lift? those lightened, but still ended up a light yellow, because it wasn't light enough to tone. Next time, I'm probably going to buy Silver Lady Toner from Wella, because that attacks yellow-orange tones instead of just yellow, and should turn hair a silver - which is also a good base for lavender hair, especially if your looking for a cool lavender like I was.



For lavender, you've got to dilute the mixture in a 2:1 white conditioner to colour ratio. Any white conditioner will do - I used a deep conditioner I got from my local shoppers drug mart to help with the dryness I got from the toning. 

I used Manic Panic's Lie Locks and Ultra Violet (which I got at wal-mart for 12 dollars) to get my lavender. I mostly used Ultra Violet, which I regret because despite the colour in the tubs, the Ultra Violet actually turns out how Lie Locks looks in the tub, and vice versa. In other words, Ultra Violet turns out more blue than purple, especially in most lights. 

Once I mixed that all up and put it in my hair, I left it on for a few hours, blasting it with heat once in a while to help with the process. 



I rinsed the colour out after around 3 and a half hours and conditioned it with the Directions colour protecting conditioner I bought at astralmoon.co.uk for about 3.50 pounds, which is around 5 canadian dollars. 

Et Voila! Lavender hair. 

Ps. because I didn't like the blue that dominated the ultra-violet, a few days later when it faded a bit, I added more diluted lie locks, for a bit more purple to my lavender. which is what the first picture is a result of. 


By the way, to help with your dry hair, I would recommend Marc Anthony Macadamia Oil Treatment. It helps repair and restore moisture to your hair. I'm not saying it works miracles, but it does help. My hair is not as dry as it would be if I had not used anything. Even my friends are surprised at how not-dry they expected it to be (if that made sense). With continued use of this product, and my numerous hair mayo and hot oil treatments and my biotin use, I expect my hair to continue to get better as the months go by. 

Plus, because I'm a dyehard, I expect my next colour (which will be pink!) to be in a few months.

By the way (again), because your hair will be dry, I suggest you not wash it all the time. Once a week is more than enough, and if you wash it everyday, I suggest you become acquainted with the miracle that is dry shampoo. If you're like me and don't want to spend big bucks on dry shampoo because you've got craploads of more important things to buy (like food), then I suggest johnson's baby powder. just dab a bit in the palm of your hands and rub them together so your fingers to palms are lightly (and I meant lightly) coated in baby powder then run them through the roots of your hair. sucks the oil right up, and it's only a few bucks. 

If you have any questions on anything regarding this post, please feel free to ask. I will answer all questions to the best of my knowledge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment